|Application Deadline: |
6th September, 2020
|Starting Date: |
Prescribed Monthly Allowance
Who we are
Youth Alive! Kenya (YAK) is an independent non-governmental organization committed to the empowerment of young people to take active responsibility for their lives to shape their destiny. It was formally registered as a national NGO in December 2003. YAK has over the years worked in partnership with youth organizations, private sector and government (at both national and county levels) to advocate for youth responsive policies, legislations, and programs within Kenya in particular and Africa in general. YAK envisions “A society where young people contribute meaningfully to development”.
Youth Alive! Kenya (YAK) implements a range of projects in three strategic areas of policy development, program development and Institutional partnerships. In fulfillment of our strategic obligations, YAK seeks to recruit a suitable person to join our dedicated and impressive team for the position of Communication Intern.
As part of strengthening Youth Alive! Kenya’s internal and external communications, we seek to recruit a suitable young person to join our impressive team of professionals as a communications intern. Reporting to the Communications Officer, the position will entail providing direct support to YAK’s communication team at the head office in Nairobi and the regional office in Kisumu.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
The scope of work for the intern will include but not be limited to:
- Assist in the preparation and development of communication tools targeting various stakeholders including IEC materials.
- Draft and edit articles, press releases, human interest stories and other advocacy/information materials.
- Research and gather relevant content to share in YAK’s website and social media handles on a frequent basis.
- Follow up with the Programs team to identify powerful stories that can be published in YAK’s online platforms; and collecting relevant information and products to promote them.
- Provide support in the implementation of the Digital Media Marketing Strategy.
- Assist in the development of Branding material and maintain branding material inventory
- Support and collaborate with the Programs team in implementation of project activities;
- Provide other support and assistance as required, including preparation and proof reading of documents, and helping with correspondence and research.
Profile of the intern
a) Technical skills of best Candidate:
- Efficient user of Microsoft Office tools;
- Knowledge of Adobe creative tools, such as Illustrator, InDesign, and Premier;
- Graphic design skills, website editing skills (working knowledge of content management systems) and event planning experience an asset.
- Experience and knowledge of social media strategies and digital/multimedia communications strategies and tools.
- Excellent written communication skills with experience in writing content for a wide range of purposes
b) Academic Qualifications
Student pursuing a Diploma Certificate or a Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, public relations, IT or a related field or a graduate in the mentioned fields.
c) Competencies and Attributes of best candidate:
- High level written and oral communications skills in English and Kiswahili;
- Must be result-oriented and a team player who exhibits high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy, and integrity;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with YAK program and development partners;
- Ability to work under minimal supervision;
- Experience in writing, editing and producing materials and compelling stories for online content.
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments;
- Experience in research, policy development, management, and programming- related work.
- Proven IT skills will be an added advantage.
How to Apply?
Do not miss out on this opportunity to be a part of this young, vibrant and dynamic team by sending your current CV to email@example.com cc to; firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach a sample of written work done or a link to access the same. Please indicate reference number Ref: YAK/INT/ADVERT/04/20 on the email subject line. The deadline for application is 6th September 2020 at 0000hrs EAT. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and called for interview following the deadline. If you have any questions, please write to us via email addresses provided above.