|Application Deadline: |
28th June 2021
Who we are
Youth Alive! Kenya (herein referred to as Y.A.K.) is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) that advocates for and supports youth participation in development processes. The organization was formally registered as a community-based group in April 1999 and a national NGO in December 2003. Y.A.K. is a Youth Serving and Youth-Led organization that has worked in partnership with youth organizations, the private sector, and government to advocate for youth responsive policies, legislation, and programs within Kenya in particular and Africa in general. It has promoted and protected youth’s rights, and empowered youths and vulnerable groups in the spheres of socio, economic and political development.
Y.A.K. envisions “A society where young people are empowered to realize their full potential”. The organization currently works with over ninety-six (96) youth organizations in twelve (12) Counties in Kenya. We also seek to strengthen youth participation in the development agenda in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) targets at the county, national, regional and global levels. Y.A.K.’s projects are based on three thematic pillars i.e. Good governance; Economic empowerment and livelihoods; and Social wellbeing and Equity As part of strengthening Youth Alive! Kenya’s internal and external communications, we seek to recruit a suitable young person to join our dedicated team of professionals as a Communications Assistant.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities.
- Handle incoming communication, screening and redirecting as necessary and provide relevant information to YAK’s target audience
- Contribute to the preparation and development of the organization and project-related IEC materials.
- Draft and edit articles, press releases, youth interest stories and other advocacy/information materials.
- Gather appropriate material for the Youth Alive! Kenya website and have frequent updates to the site
- Support the direct implementation of all project activities under the department.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of communication materials and advocacy events/campaigns on target audiences.
- Any other duties that you may be called upon to undertake from time to time
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communication, Journalism or related field
- Should have sound computer skills.
- Working knowledge with editing software and tools such as illustrator, Photoshop, PowerPoint and online editing tools such as Canva.
- Demonstrated extensive and professional use of social media (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok etc).
- Should be below 28 years of age
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- High level is written and oral communications skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, diplomacy, and integrity.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with government and development partners.
- Skills to developing stories.
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments.
- Proven IT skills.
- Experience working in the non-profit sector and media will be an added advantage
How to Apply?
Interested individuals should submit their current CV and Application Letter stating their expected salary to email@example.com with the email title Communication Assistant. The deadline for application is 28th June 2021 at 5.00 pm EAT. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted! Potential applicants from the Y.A.K Working Groups are encouraged to apply.