EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AT YOUTH ALIVE! KENYA
Position: Program Officer
Reporting to: Head of Programs
Term: 1-year contract with possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funding
Start Date: 16th January 2023
Location- Kisumu Regional Office
Deadline: 4th January, 2023 at 5.00pm EAT.
This position is open to youth under 32 years.
WHO WE ARE
“Youth Alive! Kenya (herein referred to as Y.A.K.) is a youth serving and youth-led Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) that works in partnership with youth organizations, civil society organizations, private sector, and government to advocate for youth responsive policies, legislation, and programs within Kenya in particular and the region through advocacy, mentorship and capacity development. Y.A.K. envisions “A society where young people are empowered to realize their full potential”.
Our projects are based on three thematic pillars; Good Governance; Economic Empowerment and Livelihoods; and Social Wellbeing and Equity. We are currently working with over 84 youth organizations in 12 counties in Kenya – with ambitions to grow our outreach in Kenya. We believe in strengthening youth participation in the development agenda in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) targets at the county, national, regional and global levels.”
Our team is young, highly professional and passionate in the youth agenda. As part of strengthening our capacity and adding to our dynamism, we are looking for a Program Officer to join our team.
The Program Officer is responsible for coordination and administering Y.A.K’s Programs in an efficient and effective manner so as to achieve the project agenda of the organization. The Program Officer provides programmatic, technical and fundraising support to achieve Y.A.K’s objectives and strategy with guidance from the Head Of Programs.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Program Management, Coordination and Support: 40%
- Assistant in all the stages of the program cycle (program development, planning, fundraising, implementation, monitoring and evaluation) within the region
- Helps to Manage Y.A.K programs and projects, including supporting Y.A.K Affiliates in planning and implementation of program activities and the successful achievement of program benchmarks within the region
- Manages day to day running of the program according to the work plans prepared and agreed to in the region.
- Prepares regular quality program progress reports.
- Liaises with other staff on the development of the program including fund-raising to increase the impact and the coverage of the program.
- Develops a profile of all the partner individuals and organisations that have a stake in the program.
- Manages implementation of activities and keeps updated records including minutes of meetings with the partner organisations.
- Support with Monitoring and Evaluation of related programs.
- Performs any other responsibility as may be assigned
Institutional Strengthening; 30%
- Develop and sustain relationships between Y.A.K and its Member Organizations
- Providing assistance to designing and implementing effective strategies and Performance Monitoring Plans (PMP)
- Identification of Technical Assistance (TA) needs and guide the identification of consultants from the market place that can contribute to implementation of annual work plan
- Regular team updates and sharing on progress and plans under Institutional Strengthening (IS) component of the project.
Business Development: 30%
- Research and identify new funding sources and emerging needs to support Y.A.K’s programming, administrative and strategic goals.
- Strengthen Y.A.K’s relationship with strategic partners such as donors, foundations, media, academia, corporate, youth and other relevant organizations to develop grantmaking and programmatic partnerships and collaborations
- Identify and utilize communications opportunities and strategies to raise awareness about Y.A.K’s programs and interventions.
- Work in collaboration with other Y.A.K teams, including Fundraising, Communications, and Finance
- Conduct research to further Y.A.K’s strategies and development and explore new opportunities and approaches.
- Contribute to the overall health and growth of the organization.
WHO YOU ARE
- Academic Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Social Sciences or Development Studies
- Essential Experience
- Strong experience, minimum 1 year, managing donor-funded projects and programs in a non-profit organization across the project management cycle that focuses on Good Governance, Advocacy and policy.
- Knowledge of results-based management and MEAL skills are desired
- Essential Knowledge
- Sound knowledge in the political, social, economic and historic environment in which Youth Alive! Kenya’s programs operate regionally, nationally and within the community
- Understanding of development partnerships, fund-raising, donor strategies, governmental and international relations in the country
- Good understanding of the project cycle management
- Knowledge of M&E methodologies
- Desired Skills and Competencies:
- Proven ability to manage and drive high quality donors and partnerships
- Excellent communication skills; written and verbal.
- Demonstrated ability to work under high pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, creativity, diplomacy, and integrity.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal, networking, influencing and professional skills in interacting with donors, partners and other stakeholders.
- Self-starter and excellent planner; ability to manage self and teams’ tasks effectively
Do you think you are who we are looking for? Great. Interested (and qualified) individuals are invited to submit your responses to this survey, describing why you think you would be a good fit for the role and the organization, attaching your current CV (Maximum 3 pages).
The deadline for application is 4th January, 2023 at 5.00pm EAT.
This position is open to youth under 32 years.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.