EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AT YOUTH ALIVE! KENYA
Position: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning Officer
Reporting to: Executive Director
Term: 1-year contract with possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funding
Start Date: 15th March, 2023
Location- Nairobi Office
Who we are
Youth Alive! Kenya (herein referred to as Y.A.K.) is a youth serving and youth-led Non- Governmental Organization (NGO) that works with youth organizations to promote the well-being and inclusion of young people in development through partnerships, capacity building, and advocacy. We are currently working with over 84 youth organizations in 12 counties in Kenya – with ambitions to grow our outreach in Kenya.
We are looking for a dynamic and adaptable young person to join our passionate and highly professional team, and spearhead the development of the MEAL function within the organization as the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning Officer.
About the role.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Officer will oversee the design, implementation and evaluation of MEAL functions within the organization including through applying feminist approach and principles.Specifically, the MEAL officer will create quantitative and qualitative data collection tools, and spearhead capacity development initiatives for staff and partners in MEAL. He/she will ensure that MEAL is integrated in all YAK projects through results-based management, and play a key role in establishing and promoting quality and innovation through developing and improving monitoring, evaluation, impact assessment and learning methodologies within the organization.
The successful candidate should demonstrate capacity to work well independently, possess excellent analytical and planning skills, be detail-oriented, outstanding written and oral communication skills, and excellent problem-solving skills. He/she will also ensure inputs from relevant evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations are incorporated into programme formulation.
- MEAL Technical Support; 40%
- Lead in the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems for programmes within the organization
- Develop user-friendly data collection and analysis tools and databases for Y.A.K.
- Review and develop monitoring indicators, monitoring calendars, field monitoring plans and data quality assurance processes within the organization.
- In collaboration with the Head of Programmes, oversee development of annual work plan monitoring frameworks, and annual reports to ensure compliance with the results-based reporting framework.
- Provide research, planning and evaluation on quality data gathering and analysis to facilitate informed program and project designs.
- Provide technical support and training to the programme and communications teams to ensure that data collection and analysis from field visits are coordinated and standardized, and programme impact is effectively communicated.
- Prepare monthly reports to track progress of the MEAL outcomes and provide feedback to staff as relevant, ensuring accountability and continuous learning within the organization.
- Lead and follow up research, evaluations and learning events to document lessons learned and best practices from interventions.
- Knowledge Management and Capacity Building; 30%
- In collaboration with the Communications Officer, identify and disseminate good practice, lessons and knowledge, as identified through program implementation, monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Conduct an analysis of project and program results to support evidence-based program decision making and program quality improvement
- Develop materials and tools and facilitate learning events aimed at capacity development of staff and partners in MEAL and Project Management.
- Coordinate capacity assessments and review of MEAL systems to identify process, systems and capacity gaps.
- Partnership and Donor Engagement; 30%
- Support in identifying new funding sources and emerging needs to support Y.A.K’s programming, administrative and strategic goals.
- Identify and utilize communications opportunities and strategies to raise awareness about YAK’s programs and impact
- Represent the organization and its’ programmes in donor engagement and stakeholder meeting and events
About the Person
- Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Monitoring and Evaluation, or any relevant Social Sciences. A postgraduate degree or qualification in M&E is an added advantage.
- 3 year’s minimum experience managing several international donor- funded projects and programs in a non-profit organization across the project management cycle continuum.
- Demonstrable hands-on experience and knowledge of results-based management, and building and implementing MEAL systems is required.
- Strong data analysis skills, including experience with data visualization tools is highly desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience preparing reports and presentations that keep the reader and audience engaged (read as awake).
- Demonstrated understanding of the feminist approach to program design, monitoring and evaluation.
- Ability to manage diverse activities and to meet deadlines required.
- Ability to work with a small team and independently.
- Fun to work with and creative!
Do you think you are who we are looking for? Great. Interested (and qualified) individuals are invited to submit your responses to this survey, describing why you think you would be a good fit for the role and the organization, attaching your current CV (Maximum 3 pages) and letter of motivation (Maximum 1 page).
The deadline for application is Tuesday, 14th February 5.00pm EAT.
This position is open to youth under 32 years. The position is subject to funding availability. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.