TERMS OF REFERENCE
INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY AT YOUTH ALIVE! KENYA
Position: Communications Intern
Youth Alive! Kenya (herein referred to as Y.A.K.) is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) that advocates for and supports youth participation in development processes. The organization was formally registered as a community-based group in April 1999 and a national NGO in December 2003. Y.A.K. is a Youth Serving and Youth-Led organization that has worked in partnership with youth organizations, private sector, and the government to advocate for youth responsive policies, legislation, and programs within Kenya in particular and Africa in general. It has promoted and protected youth’s rights, and empowered youths and vulnerable groups in the spheres of socio, economic and political development.
Y.A.K. envisions “A society where young people are empowered to realize their full potential”. The organization currently works with over ninety-six (96) youth organizations in twelve (12) Counties in Kenya. We also seek to strengthen youth participation in the development agenda in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) targets at the county, national, regional and global levels. Y.A.K.’s projects are based on three thematic pillars i.e. Good governance; Economic empowerment and livelihoods; and Social well-being and Equity
As part of strengthening Youth Alive! Kenya’s internal and external communications, we seek to recruit a suitable young person to join our impressive team of professionals as a communications intern. Reporting to the Communications Assistant, the position will entail providing direct assistance to the Youth Alive! Kenya at the head office in Nairobi and the regional office in Kisumu.
The Communications Intern will help develop, implement, and manage a communications strategy aimed at growing Youth Alive’s audiences and stewarding its brand.
The Communications Intern will leverage multi-channel communications tools, such as social media, email, owned and earned media, to advance Youth Alive’s visibility and fundraising goals.
She/he will be based at the Secretariat of Y.A.K, which is in Nairobi with frequent travel to the field as necessary.
1. Communication (90%)
- Proactively gather and prepare communication materials (photos, posters, infographics, video footage, stories, quotes, updates, reports, interviews etc) for sharing on Youth Alive’s communication channels including the website, quarterly newsletters and social media pages.
- Follow up with the Programs team to identify powerful stories that can be published on Youth Alive’s online platforms, and collect relevant information and products to promote them.
- Support in documenting stories during field activities
Updating the Comms Playbook
- Update the observances and content calendar
- Update and track tasks and transformations within Comms
- Update Comms e-library with relevant external reports.
- Support the implementation of our Content Transformation (which includes using videos and audio-wave form videos and podcasts to diversify our content).
3. Business Development: (10%)
- Participate in fundraising, visibility events, meetings and other program activities as requested.
- Research and identify new funding sources and emerging needs to support Y.A.K’s programming, administrative and strategic goals.
- Participate in proposal development processes
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Academic Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communication, Journalism or related field
- Skills and Competencies:
- Interest in /willingness to learn about youth issues in Kenya
- Demonstrated audiovisual and photography production skills
- Working knowledge of editing software and tools such as illustrator, Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Corel Video Studio and online editing tools such as Canva.
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, diplomacy, and integrity.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with government and development partners.
- Passion and knack for storytelling
- Experience working in the non-profit sector and media will be an added advantage.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Should be below 28 years of age.
Interested individuals should submit their current CV, Application Letter and portfolio (samples of previous work done) to email@example.com with the email title Communications Intern. The deadline for application is 14th June 2022 at 5.00 pm EAT.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted!