EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AT YOUTH ALIVE! KENYA
Position: Communications Assistant
Youth Alive! Kenya (herein referred to as Y.A.K.) is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) that advocates for and supports youth participation in development processes. The organization was formally registered as a community-based group in April 1999 and a national NGO in December 2003. Y.A.K. is a Youth Serving and Youth-Led organization that has worked in partnership with youth organizations, private sector, and the government to advocate for youth responsive policies, legislation, and programs within Kenya in particular and Africa in general. It has promoted and protected youth’s rights, and empowered youths and vulnerable groups in the spheres of socio, economic and political development.
Y.A.K. envisions “A society where young people are empowered to realize their full potential”. The organization currently works with over ninety-six (96) youth organizations in twelve (12) Counties in Kenya. We also seek to strengthen youth participation in the development agenda in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) targets at the county, national, regional and global levels. Y.A.K.’s projects are based on three thematic pillars i.e. Good governance; Economic empowerment and livelihoods; and Social well-being and Equity
As part of strengthening Youth Alive! Kenya’s internal and external communications, we seek to recruit a suitable young person to join our growing team of professionals as a Communications Assistant.
Reporting to the Communications Officer, the post-holder will provide direct assistance to Youth Alive! Kenya at the head office in Nairobi and the regional office in Kisumu. The assistant will support the implementation of our brand and communication strategy aimed at growing our audiences and stewarding our brand.
He/she will be required to photograph and film events and document stories of change, manage social media accounts and help implement our content transformation.
She/he will be based at the Secretariat of Y.A.K, which is in Nairobi with frequent travel to the field as necessary.
- Content Development & Social Media Management
- Assist in documenting field activities and prepare materials such as photos, videos, and stories for Youth Alive’s communication channels, including the website, newsletters, and social media.
- Manage and maintain social media accounts, including post scheduling and engaging with followers. Provide monthly social media and website performance reports.
- Work with Programs and MEAL team to find and share impactful stories on Youth Alive’s online platforms.
- Updating and Maintaining the Comms Playbook
- Be responsible for updating content calendars, tracking tasks and transformations within the Comms Playbook, updating our knowledge hub with relevant materials, and updating the opportunities microsite with relevant jobs and resources.
- Support the implementation of our Content Transformation (which includes using different content types and formats targeted at our growing and diverse audiences).
- Initiate a transformation to close any identified gaps within the department.
- Business Development
- When requested, participate in fundraising, visibility events, meetings and other resource mobilization activities
- Research and identify new funding sources and emerging needs to support Y.A.K’s programming, administrative and strategic goals.
- Team building and collaboration
- Actively contribute to building a strong, innovative, and adaptive communications team
- Work across cross-functional teams to plan, execute and evaluate joint activities including digital campaigns
- Perform other roles that may be assigned to you by your line manager
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communication, Digital Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism or a related field
- 1-2 years experience in a communications role ideally involving audiovisual production
- Demonstrate interest in /willingness to learn about youth/social issues in Kenya
- Demonstrate great to excellent audiovisual and photography production skills
- Demonstrate excellent social and professional skills when interacting with colleagues and external partners.
- Openness to new experiences for professional and personal development
- A great team player who enjoys collaborating and consulting with other team members rather than working autonomously
- Working knowledge of editing software and tools such as illustrator, Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Corel Video Studio and online editing tools such as Canva.
- Genuine passion and knack for storytelling
- Deals with challenging situations with tact and maturity
- Open to receiving and incorporating feedback in their work
- Should be below 28 years of age.
- Willing to learn project management using Notion
- Demonstrated reporting and graphic design skills
- Great to excellent webinar moderating/facilitating skills
- Experience /willingness to learn website management.
- Experience working in the non-profit sector and media will be an added advantage.
Interested individuals should fill out the application form by 10th March 2022 at 5.00 pm EAT.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted!