VSO Kenya Volunteer Awards 2019
Purity Jebor is a passionate crusader for social justice and an active community mobiliser. She is a holder of Bachelor’s Degree in Social work from St. Paul’s University. Throughout her development journey, she has dedicated herself in seeing holistic transformation from individuals and communities at large. Purity has a deep interest in governance process. This has seen her engage in related activities at different levels and capacity in 16 counties. Her work with youth centres on their involvement and participation in the Public Expenditure Management (PEM) cycle. The work has currently reached over half million citizens with this knowledge.
The reach outs were facilitated through her work in VSO as an ICS alumni and voluntary task force member. She has interacted with ICS volunteers and particularly, training of the taskforce team on social accountability alongside Richard. As a civic educator with Daraja Civic Initiative Forum (DCIF) where, she facilitated on electoral processes and leadership, and as a graduate intern at the Ministry of Social Services were she facilitated more than 100 group formations within five months. Currently, she assumes the position of a project associate at Youth Alive! Kenya (YAK) leading Tushirikishe Jamii project a USAID funded project through Agile and Harmonized Assistance for Devolved Institutions (AHADI implemented in Kiambu County through 100 civic educators as well as, governance facilitator in the ten counties where YAK is present.
She is also a member: Nairobi Devolution Action Group; Social Work Association; Just City Coalition; Nairobi Slums Leadership Assembly; Kiambu working Group; and Social Accountability CSOs Network. A proud alumnus of International Citizen Service (ICS) and Young African Leadership Initiative (YALI).
She has directly/indirectly engaged in the formation/development of:
- Youth for Sustainable Development now a full project with VSO
- Bunge Mashinani, accountability grassroot dialogue forum where more than 30 community actions were undertaken. Currently, partnering with the office of the Auditor General in piloting social accountability in Kiambu County .Recently picked as the best case study of youth engagement in governance processes in twelve counties
- Okoa Kiambu youth driven initiative that mobilized electorates on accountable leadership that was also selected as the best case study in East Africa on social accountability
- Nandi County volunteerism policy
- Budget champions
- Social auditors groups
Through her engagement, the following are some of the achievements:
- Kiambu County supplementary budget, 2019
- Strengthening of the directorate of public participation
- Influence 25% of Budget estimates that saw boreholes, ECD classrooms and ablution blocks prioritized, upgrading of roads, health facilities among others
- Two private motions that were discussed at the floor of the house with positive proposals particularly on civic education
- More than 60 audited projects with actions taken by the duty bearers
- Emergence of transformative leaders
- Round table dialogue fora of youth and duty bearers
She believes that every person has a role in making this world a beautiful place. ‘So stand up for what you believe is humane’