TERMS OF REFERENCE
CONSULTANCY FOR DEVELOPMENT OF THE STRATEGIC PLAN 2020 – 2024 FOR YOUTH ALIVE! KENYA
Youth Alive! Kenya (YAK) is an independent non-governmental organization committed to the empowerment of young people to take active responsibility for their lives to shape their destiny. It was formally registered as a national NGO in December 2003.
With an interest to breaking the persistent exclusion of young people in the renaissance of Africa and to bring to light the plight of young people in Kenya, the idea of YAK evolved out of a set of informal discussions among various young persons at that time students in local universities of Kenya. The discussions focused on the plight of the young people in the present Kenya and revolved around three critical issues: the persistent disregard of young people as mere objects, targets and beneficiaries of interventions and programmes rather an untapped resource, active partners and players in national and regional development agenda; the potential threat of young people entering the preparatory stages of adulthood without gainful livelihoods and growing up without any meaningful perspective for their future vis-à-vis the benefits derived if these young people entered their adulthood with the freedom and knowledge to contribute to development, and; what young people in other African countries were doing to alleviate the unfavorable conditions they found themselves in.
Youth Alive! Kenya was therefore conceptualized as a rallying point and a platform from which young people could themselves address issues affecting their well-being and development, with the support of the wider community.
To ensure stability, survival and continued relevance, the organization developed a strategic plan for the period 2015-2019. The programmatic environment under which the strategic plan was developed has drastically changed and there is a need to re-examine the organization’s strategic objectives a fresh. To guide on this comprehensive development of the new strategic plan 2020 – 2024, Youth Alive! Kenya is seeking the services of consulting firm or individuals with appropriate knowledge, skills, experience, and competency to support the work.
The overall objective of this consultancy is to develop a three year Strategic Plan to ensure that Youth Alive! Kenya fulfills its mandate.
3. Scope of Work
The scope of work for the Consultant will include but not be limited to:
a)Review the vision and mission based on Youth Alive! Kenya’s mandate;
- Undertake stakeholder mapping and analysis;
- Undertake a situation analysis of Youth Alive! Kenya operations to date;
- Through a consultative process and application of an appropriate tool of analysis, identify focus areas and develop strategic objectives and key result areas for the same;
- Review the institutional capacity, organizational set-up, financial and administrative systems against the Youth Alive! Kenya mandate and the identified strategic objectives and key result areas; and make recommendations, if any;
- Propose a strategy for achieving the strategic objectives and key results;
- Develop a Results and Resources Framework for the plan period;
- Hold stakeholder meeting(s) to validate the draft Strategic Plan;
- A five-year strategic plan including a results and resources framework
- Report on the process including stakeholder consultations and workshop0073
5. Time Span
This work is expected to run from June 2019 to September 2019. This process will utilize some of the planned key activities where staff, Board and member organizations present for diverse representation of stakeholders.
6. Institutional Arrangements
The Consultant will report directly to the Executive Director/(Secretary to the Board). Youth Alive! Kenya will provide relevant background documents necessary for the assignment. Youth Alive! Kenya shall be responsible for the coordination of meetings and other activities under the Consultancy.
7. Profile of consultant
a) Academic Qualifications
At least a master’s degree in a relevant field in the area of planning, public policy, development studies and
- At least five years professional experience in strategic planning and management
- Prior working experience on decentralization issues is an added advantage
- Demonstrated experience in working with government partners and other stakeholders in public sector development programs especially in the area of capacity development
c) Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- High level written and oral communications skills in English and Kiswahili;
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy, and integrity;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with government and development partners;
- Skills in facilitation of stakeholder engagements/workshops;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments;
- Experience in research, policy development, management, and programming-related work.
8. Application Process
A)Those interested in the consultancy must include in their application a detailed technical and financial proposal with the following components:
- Understanding and interpretation of the TOR
- Methodology to be used in undertaking the assignment
- Time and activity schedule
- Consultant’s daily rate in Kenya shillings
B) Submission of proposals
Interested individuals or teams should submit their technical, financial and a current CV (max 6 pages, excluding CV) to email@example.com cc to; firstname.lastname@example.org. Mark the EOI number 009/2018 on the email subject line. The deadline for application is 26th June 2019 at 5.00pm EAT.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE POSITION OF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Youth Alive! Kenya (herein referred to as YAK) is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) that advocates for and support youth participation in decision making and development processes. The organization was formally registered as a National NGO in December 2003. The organization implements a range of projects under four thematic areas, namely, Health, Governance and Human Rights, Livelihoods and Empowerment, and Institutional Growth and Development. In fulfillment of our strategic obligations, YAK seeks to recruit a suitable person to join our dedicated and impressive team for the position of Executive Director. The successful
Click here to download the TOR Document. Executive Director Position. PDF
If you believe you are the right candidate for the job and are excited about the prospect of working with a dynamic team, please send your application to email@example.com Applications should contain a Personal Statement (1000 Characters Max), most recent Curriculum Vitae (2pages max) and a fundraising concept note and budget (3 pages max) by 1st July, 2019, 12 Noon. Application documents should be saved as one PDF File.